Executing assigned requests is very straightforward with Benchling's "Request Management" module.
This “How-to” guide will walk you through executing assigned tasks. In this example, we will be going over how to execute a submitted request for a transfection experiment.
- Access the “Request Management” tab by clicking on the “checkbox clipboard” graphic on the left-hand toolbar.
- Filter existing requests based on the type of requests created. In this example, we are filtering for only “Transfection” requests.
- Additionally, you can filter the requests by their status. By clicking the “Requested” filter, you can view requests that have not yet been started.
- Click on the request to view details and execution details.
Occasionally, you may need to change certain fields within the request. Fields are easily editable within the request window.
- To modify any of the fields, click on the pencil icon associated with the field and make the necessary changes.
- You can add/delete tasks (representing assays or actions) by clicking on either the “+” or the “trashcan” icons respectively. Any changes to these tasks will be reflected in the samples section below it.
- If there are multiple tasks assigned to this request, specific tasks can be set for each sample by checking or unchecking the assigned sample.
Editing assignees for the specific request is very similar to editing request fields.
- Open up your specific request.
- Click on the pencil icon of the “Assigned To” field to edit which user or team will be executing the request.
Note: When individual users are assigned, they will be alerted via email. When teams are assigned, only the team admins will be alerted via email.
Executing requests is a straightforward process.
- Open up your specific request.
- Click on the "Execute" tab.
3. Within the execution window, select which tasks to execute.
4. Once the tasks have been selected, click on the “Next “ button.
5. On the next page, you will decide how the execution will be fulfilled. These options allow the executor to log their experiment in a custom notebook entry, a pre-made template entry, or in a workflow. Each choice will prompt the user to create a name for the entry. When completed, click the “Next” button.
Note: If executing into a workflow, each sample group will create a workflow arm.
Alternately, select multiple requests on the request overview page. Check the box next to multiple requests and click "Execute".
Once executed, the newly-created entries are recorded in their designated project folders.
These entries can be quickly accessed from the request's "Results" tab.
Marking Requests “Completed” or “To Be Repeated”
After the request has been executed, the request's status can be changed to reflect its status.
If the task has been executed correctly, then the request will be marked “Completed” by the user.
Alternatively, if the executed request needs to be rerun, its status can be set “To be Repeated”, so requestors and fulfillers can track the status.
Their statuses can be changed through the Request itself or by fulfilling ELN or Workflow.
- From the request tab, check the request(s) that have been executed.
- Change the status of the request using the drop down menu on the right of the page.
- Open the request's result tab and then click on the entry associated with the task.
- If the specified task needs to be repeated, click the “Mark for Redo” box.
- If the executed task was performed successfully, then the user can send it over to the assigned auditor to be reviewed. Afterwards, the task will have the “Requested” status.
Note: The auditor must be first assigned in the project folder housing these entry files.
2. If the specified task needs to be repeated, click the “Mark for Redo” box.
3. If the executed task was performed successfully, then the user can send it over to the assigned auditor to be reviewed. Afterwards, the task will have the “Requested” status.
If the request was executed through the workflow, follow these steps to change the status:
- Open up the request's result tab and select the workflow of interest.
- Click on the "Update Requests" button
3. Checkmark the specific task and change the status.