Task schemas determine the identity and behavior of their task groups. To create workflow Task schemas, you must configure a Tasks table and an Outputs table to standardize its task requests and fulfillment. Flowcharts are workflow Task schemas that extend this functionality by compiling multiple tasks together either in a strict order or in parallel into a complete process that is executed from beginning to end.
This article explains how to configure the flowchart steps on your Task schema and map the transitions between all flowchart steps.
To create a flowchart Task schema or to learn more about creating direct- and entry-execution Task schemas, visit Configuring Task schemas.
To create and configure Task schemas, you must:
- Have Admin permissions for your organization to create and configure Task schemas
- More than one Task schema to configure into a flowchart
Configure the flowchart steps
After creating the Task schema, complete the flowchart section of your Task schema. This section is unique to flowcharts and inserts other Task schemas as steps between the flowchart’s Task and Output.
To add Task schemas to the flowchart:
- Click Edit on the flowchart Task schema.
- In the Task Schemas tab, click + to add new steps between the flowchart’s Task and Output.
- Select the applicable Task schema(s) from the drop-down menu.
- After adding the flowchart steps, configure mapping between flowchart tasks in the Transitions tab.
Configure mapping between flowchart tasks
After configuring the flowchart steps, you need to configure how data is passed from one step to the next. This process, called mapping, moves users smoothly through flowcharts by connecting data between tasks, automatically launching the next task when the previous one is completed. Mapping must be completed for each flowchart step and all possible transitions.
To configure flowchart mapping:
- In the Transitions column of the flowchart steps table, click Configure.
- Select the mapping data source from the Task or Output table of the previous task. For the step immediately following the flowchart task, only Task is available to select.
- Each field on the Task table displays as a row. Click Configure Mapping next to a step. You will do this to configure all steps.
- In the Configure lookup modal, select a lookup object and attribute to source the mapped data from.
- Generally, the lookup object is a field on the previous Task or Output table, and the attribute is the field value. You can also choose to map any value from the flowchart’s Task table, by selecting Flowchart task as the lookup object.
- For more on Benchling’s lookup functionality, visit Lookup columns and tables.
- When all fields are configured, click Finish.
- Repeat this process for each flowchart task, then click Submit on the flowchart steps table.