In workflows, you may use a lookup field as a selectable formula that allows you to pull, or "look up", fields or data from the your workflow into a registration table. This allows you to conveniently input parameters from your workflow stages into your registration table - without having to input these manually.
Clicking on LOOKUPFIELD will bring you to the lookup field UI:
Lookup fields allow you to pull:
- Entity / Batch IDs from your input table
- Results Fields from samples in your input table (you must indicate a single Sample Schema)
- Registry Fields from samples in your input table (you must indicate a single Sample Schema)
Sample use cases:
Use a lookup table in a workflow to:
- Automatically insert the entities from a workflow or request input table when creating new batches
- Automatically fill a parent entity of a new child entity (e.g. a parent cell line field)
Refreshing lookup fields
Copying and pasting lookup fields across cells is supported, but you must refresh your result table in order for the formula to calculate correctly. You will know to do this if your lookup fields are showing up as #N/A rather than their correct value!