Note: Benchling's complete documentation on the API, including endpoints and supported API calls, is located at docs.benchling.com.
Using the API is the easiest way to write data to Benchling outside of the Benchling UI. This article does not cover the Data Warehouse, which is the easiest way to pull and view Benchling data using SQL queries, for which an overview can be found here.
Write data (via the API)
Definitions for assay data in Benchling
- Run: The parameters about the assay. This is information about the assay known ahead of time such as instrument parameters, plate ID, etc.
- Result: The result values recorded for the assay. Typically, results will specify what assay run they are associated with. We use this association for two reasons:
Reviewing results: assay runs and results are reviewed together
Marking invalid: when an assay run is marked invalid, all the associated results are also marked as invalid.
Reference: Create Results.
Read Data using the API
Runs and results can be individually searched for or read in bulk.
See links below for more information:
You will need permissions to view and edit the data you are trying to access
Permission to view runs and results is derived from the project in which they are placed. Project for a result will be specified through:
- If manually entered, the permissions for the assay data is the same as the permissions of the entry in which it is recorded
- If uploaded via a script, the project id can be specified at time of upload.
- When a run is included for review in a Notebook entry, we move the runs and results to the project for the runs/results