Standalone Creation of Containers
Creating containers is an integral part of this process, as all sample entities must be stored in a container.
First create empty containers and assign these containers to a specific location.
Open the Storage section of the registry and select the “+” button, choose Container → Import Containers.
Select the Container schema to be imported.
Fill out the Project field if you want to set permissions on who can read/write over these containers.
If a Project is not specified, then the storage items default to the same permissions as its registry.
Transfer the container information from the spreadsheet into Benchling's data importer.
The spreadsheet should contain:
A column for the Box (or Location) barcode where the containers should be stored (Column Type = Location Barcode).
A column for the position (e.g. A1, A2, and etc.) within the Box where the container should occupy (Column Type = Location Position).
Filling empty containers:
Afterwards, we will fill these newly-created empty containers with registered samples using a spreadsheet.
1. To fill containers, open the Storage section of the Registry and select “+” → Import Transfer Data.
2. Open the spreadsheet containing the registered entity information to be transferred into the containers.
The spreadsheet should contain these fields (see example below):
The ID of the entity that will be transferred into the container.
The quantity AND quantity units of the entity to be transferred.
The concentration AND concentration units of the entity to be transferred.
The barcode of the destination container.
3. Copy the information into Benchling's data importer and press Next.
4. Verify that the column names and column types match up.
5. Press Next to transfer sample entities into their respective containers.
6. Once inside their containers, you can look up their sample information by clicking into the wells of the box and subsequently clicking into the highlighted container.
Import Transfer Data
Importing transfer data allows you to transfer your samples in bulk from their initial locations to a final location (and quantities, concentrations, etc.)
To import transfer data, go to the Storage section and select "Import Transfer Data" from the + menu.