Place a request
- Access the “Request Management” tab by clicking on the “checkbox clipboard” graphic on the left-hand toolbar.
- Click on the “+ Request” button and select the desired request from the drop-down menu.
- Fill out the request fields which are described below.
- Once all categories have been filled, press the “Create” button to submit the request.
- Additional requests can be created by copying your initial request, by clicking the "Create Another" button.
- Project: Assign the request to a specific project. This will determine who has access to see and edit the request. Note that assignees will also have access to do this, regardless of project. [Required]
- Assigned To: Assign this request to a specific user or team by typing in their name. The assigned user or team admins will be alerted via email when someone is assigned.
- Scheduled On: Designates a time when the request will be executed. This will appear for fulfillers to edit once the request has been created.
- Plasmids: Select from plasmids within Benchling to be used for transfection.
- Transfection Method (an example of a configured field): Designate how you want your request to be executed. In this example, we would would choose between electroporation or lipofectamine transfection methods.
- Comments (an example of a configured field): Additional comments for the experimental conditions that do not fit any other field can be placed here. For example, you might comment "protect from light."
- Tasks: Specify tasks (capturing assays or actions) to be performed on the provided samples. These give the fulfiller specific instructions on which assays should be done for each sample. Several, different tasks can be added to your request. In this example, we are specifying what type of antibiotic we want to use to select for our transfected cells.
- Samples: Select samples to be used in your request. Here, you can assign different combinations of tasks to each sample.
Note: Not all of these fields are required, and the required fields will vary depending on the request configuration.
View, filter, and edit requests
After creating your request, you can track open tasks by navigating back to the Request Management dashboard in step 1.
On this screen, you can check the status of all the existing requests and the important parameters associated with them.
Each new request is assigned a unique request ID.
- You can search requests by typing into the search box.
- You can sort requests by clicking the arrow icon next to a category (some categories may not have arrows). For example, by clicking the arrow next to the “Created” category, you can sort based on creation date.
- You can filter requests by Type, Status and other fields. To filter by a specific request field, first filter by request type and then add additional filters as needed.
- To edit any of your existing requests, click on the request and modify your desired fields by clicking on the pencil icon in the new window.
View completed results
Once the task(s) have been executed by the assigned user, click into the request and check the results by clicking on the “Results” tab on the top of the request window.
The “Results” tab links to all the experimental information such as samples created, data produced, and fulfillment entries or workflows for the request.